Ben was born in Romania and raised in Israel. He emigrated to Toronto in 1999 where he met his wife Sharon, moving with her to the Okanagan in 2005. He left a technical career to follow his passion for excellent baking and food, teaching himself old-school artisan bread baking (many of Walla’s gluten-intolerant customers could eat his breads, including some Celiacs) and cooking so he could bring the flavours of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern foods to his new home in the South Okanagan.
Ben passed away on June 15, 2019 due to complications from ALS. His obituary is here. He was working at the bakery right up until his passing. Walla opened in 2007 and closed permanently on June 22, 2019. If you would like to share a story or memory about Walla please visit our Facebook page: Facebook.com/WallaArtisanBakery
“It is my good luck that, although this has happened to me, I can bear it without pain, neither crushed by the present nor fearful of the future. Because such a thing could have happened to any man, but not every man could have borne it without pain. So why see more misfortune in the event than good fortune in your ability to bear it?” – Ben, June 9, 2019.
Ben’s final public lecture on April 9, 2018, in which he describes his 7 day fermentation process which extracted tremendous flavour from the dough, and allowed those with gluten intolerance (including many customers with Celiac disease) to eat his breads.
Ben’s Blog Posts
- THE END OF A JOURNEY September 6, 2019
- If You Only Knew… Part 5 (Epilogue) June 23, 2019
- If You Only Knew… Part 4 (Rite of Passage) June 10, 2019
- If You Only Knew… Part 3 (Coming to Canada) May 10, 2019
- If you Only Knew… Part 2 April 10, 2019
- If You Only Knew… Part 1 March 10, 2019
- Our Precious August 2, 2018
- A Sephardic Seduction December 26, 2017
- The summer that was… March 6, 2016
- I come for the food! February 14, 2016
- A Day at the Beach February 8, 2016
- Omnia January 10, 2016
- Fare La Scarpetta April 29, 2015
- Read about Walla Foods in a new book “Okanagan Slow Road” May 10, 2014
- A Rose Garden in Your Mouth February 14, 2014
- A Pleasant Peasant Soup May 1, 2013
- Hot Air December 20, 2010
- Memories of Paris: A Fungus Feast November 25, 2010
- Impressions from Paris: The Circus and a Horse with no Name November 20, 2010
- This is the brief story of how I came to be a wannabe baker in Penticton February 18, 2010
- At my Grandmother’s Table January 18, 2010
Here are some photos of the many memories and tastes of Walla over the years.
Contact Sharon (Ben’s Wife):